Sunday, May 23, 2010


This is the first time I've sat down to blog since dad and I left Arizona.   I can't really claim that it's not my fault.  It always takes me some time to re-acclimate to changing residences and this time was no different.  Yes, I'm busy but I've had a LOT more down time here than I did over the winter.  

I've spent a lot of time sleeping and trying to get caught up.  Of course, it could be a bit of depression since for the most part it's been rainy and gloomy for practically the whole time I've been home.   At any rate, it's time to move forward.

Shortly after returning home, I got out all the bird feeders, including Hummingbird feeders, filled and hung them all.   I was quickly rewarded with visits from Chickadees, a Downy Woodpecker or two, Indigo Buntings, Cardinals and a pair of Rose Breasted Grosbeaks and though they don't habituate the feeders, a pair of Northern Baltimore Orioles.  

Recently,we had a fierce storm blow through with lots of rain.  That evening after supper I went outside to refill the feeders and found a small Tufted Titmouse sitting on the sidewalk.  (Hard to see but he is a speck on the concrete)

At first glance I thought the poor thing was probably water logged, however, he was as dry as could be.  I then realized that right before I went outside I had heard a 'thump' from the family room and it must have been the bird flying into the window.  

As we have lots of barn cats that wander around the house and property, I knew I had to act quickly before he became someone's snack.  He screamed like crazy when I picked him up but he couldn't fly. 

 I checked his wings and nothing was broken so now all I had to do was keep him warm until the shock wore off.    

Once warm, where to put him until he was ready to fly?  A large fir tree in the front yard seemed the best option where hopefully the cats would not find him.

 He was so cute and I think still young as full grown Tufted Titmice are typically about 6 inches long and he was about half that size.  

I kept an eye on the kitties and checked inside the pine tree about an hour later and the little guy was gone.  I keep wondering if the ones I see at the bird feeder might be him but of course....I'll never know! 


  1. Oh my gosh! He is so darling! I wouldn't even know how to pick him up. You are brave and have the know-how. I hope he is coming to the feeder several times a day. I have Tufted Titmouse birds in my yard and they were here all winter. I love them.

  2. I am so glad that you were there to save the day!

  3. Thanks Anita.....he/she was soooo cute!


I love hearing from you so please leave me a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...