Sunday, January 9, 2011

Things that make me go.....HMMMM!

Dad and I eat out a lot.  It's just about the only thing I can get him out of the house to do.  Plus, it seems he enjoys my cooking less and less, so as it gets harder to cook for him, it becomes easier just to go out somewhere.  Thing is....he's picky about that too so there are not a lot of choices.

And not to get off track here, but this seems like a good place to interject my frustration.....tonight as I served him supper, he announced he doesn't like baked potato's.  A few weeks ago, it was carrots.  I was flabbergasted as he has liked these things in the past and I have seen him inhale them on many occasions!  Well alrighty then!  Regroup!!!  Of course, I had already given him his insulin based on what his sugar tested AND what I was serving him.  He is supposed to have 60 carbs a meal.  Unfortunately this whole potato fiasco meant he'd had too much insulin and would not have enough carbohydrates with his meal.  To make matters worse, when he realizes that I am frustrated, he says,  "Oh just don't worry about it."  To which I wanted to ask him if I should start worrying when he passed out on the floor because his blood sugar went too low, but......I bit my lip.  

Alas.....I digress.....grrrrr!!  And don't worry, I found something else to give him to meet his carbohydrate requirements.  Now, back to my story. 

Last night at a nearby unnamed restaurant, we were seated near the kitchen.  There was no door, just an open space and we could easily see the goings on.  Waitresses were busy running too and fro trying to get orders out.  It seems that the restaurants dad likes to frequent have gotten very busy lately.  I chock it up the return of snowbirds to the area now that the Holidays are over. 

This area of the kitchen seemed to hold their deserts, mainly pies.  I noticed a waitress working very fast and what I at first thought was efficiently.  She carved up yummy looking pie slices onto several plates and it had me thinking, "Wow that looks so good, and I want some!"  That was, until I saw her scoop ice cream on top.  Right there in plain view, though her back was to me, I saw her un-gloved fingers reach out and 'help' the ice cream out of the scoop on to the pies. 

And....as if that wasn't bad enough.....she then proceeded to wipe her hands on the back of her pants.  WHAT!!!!  Are you kidding me?  I did not just see that.  But, sadly i did see it and watched her do it a few more times too, once, touching the side of the pie as it moved from the pie tin to the serving plate.

Needless to say, that blew my appetite for dessert, not that I needed it anyway.  But I sat there wondering,  "Hmmm, I wonder if the customer that ordered that pie and ice cream knew what I had seen, would they still want desert?"

I suppose, if we don't know something like that has happened, it won't hurt us right?  

Hmmmmmm..........

10 comments:

  1. There is an expression that says "what you don't know won't hurt you." I think it's a good thing that we can't see or hear everything everyone does or we would never leave the house. I would how ever never order pie there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck. When my grandma's sister was young, she always worked in restaurants. Whenever we took her out to eat she would always pour some of her tea over whatever was left on the plate. She said it was so they couldn't use it again! Sometimes I think there are things we don't need to know! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep Karen I think when it comes to eating out, the less we know about what happens in the back the better. I don't think anyBODY would eat out if we knew! Just thinking about it makes me shudder. On the bright side, maybe it helps to build up our immunity :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen ~
    Ignorance is bliss :) I'm sure we don't want to know what goes on at the best of restaurants!
    Please send some warm weather our way!!! It is sunny but only 11 degrees according to my weather widget.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. On one hand, I think that the human body was to fight germs. If you think of the conditions of our food from a few generations ago, having somebody touch our food with their hands is probably not a big deal.

    On the other hand, I'm a bit of a germophobe. If I'd seen that, I don't know if I'd have been able to finish my dinner, let alone order desert after seeing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I saw something like that, my big bold mouth would say something to management I'm sure. I cut pies at the church suppers twice a year and we have to wear food grade gloves to handle the pies. We also wipe our fingers on a clean damp cloth after washing in warm soapy water and we work in front of our customers.

    My oldest daughter travels in the old countries and said that we are too germ conscious and that's why people get sick a lot because we haven't built immunity to a lot of germs. JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yeah. My son has always said, since he has worked in restaurants..that you do not want to know what goes on in the kitchen...and...they pay kitchen help so little..do you really want a poorly paid person cooking and serving your food? ewwww

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Julia ~ I would have had to say something to somebody! There are so many 'bugs' out there, that I sure don't want somebody elses floating around on the ice cream! Yuk! I'm sure we'd all stay home to eat if we saw what really goes on in restaurant kitchens!! I love to eat out so I try not to think about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It always amazes me some of the things that go on in food establishments.It really does make you cautious of where you dine!Really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, I am your 28th follower and I found your blog via your recent comment @ Three Dog Blog and I appreciated your wise words regarding the border collie who no longer wants to eat his dry kibble. I agreed with your words completely and I hope the owner follows your advice. It amazes me to no end that some pet owners feel that dry kibble should be the pet's only food for life when there's so many other healthy alternatives out there such as chicken, veggies, organic canned pumpkin, etc.
    Anyway....I love your engaging writing style and I totally understand how frustrated you were while watching the waitress touch the ice cream with her bare hands! I wouldn't go to that restaurant again if I were you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave me a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...